For many people, the arrival of the San Diego County Fair, or the Del Mar Fair as it’s still known to locals, marks the arrival of summer. This year, the fair is celebrating Balboa Park and a history of the world’s fairs. You will find some new exhibits and events, including a spirits festival, a farm to table dinner, and Fiesta Village. Of course, everyone knows the fair’s number one attraction is FOOD. Without fail, you can find hot dogs, deep fried Oreos and giant turkey legs at our fair. We encourage you try something new! Just don’t try it all at once…
Below are our top food picks for the 2015 San Diego County Fair.
Our top ten foods to try at this year’s San Diego County Fair include some newcomers and some returning classics. Here they are in no particular order…
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream – This almost savory treat has an intriguing flavor. Made with cream and corn, we can’t think of a better way to salute agriculture than this tasty treat.
- Deep Fried Slim Fast Bar – A culinary creation that defies all logic and reason—where else would you find such a thing?! True story: the recipe was inspired by the real “Chicken” Charlie’s successful weight loss, using slim fast products.
- Grilled Chicken in a Pineapple— This paleo-friendly option at the San Diego County Fair, this dish is as literal as it gets. Freshly grilled chicken is served on a bed of pineapple, inside a pineapple. It’s also a great option for those who want to avoid all that oil and sugar.
- Deep Fried Starbucks Coffee— Our local fair, like others, has a history of challenging itself to see what might be deep fried next. The answer? America’s favorite coffee.
- Shark Tacos—Baja style street tacos, served on a corn tortilla with shredded cabbage and crema sauce, are another option for the health-conscious at this year’s fair.
- Krispy Kreme Triple Decker Cheeseburger— Our favorite tribute to gluttony returns! This amazing burger adjacent offering features two glazed Krispy Kreme donuts as buns, three beef patties, and three slices of cheese.
- Chocolate Covered Chicharron— These chocolate drenched pork rinds combine everything you’d want in a fair food in a single snack: salt, fat, and sugar.
- Fried Peanut Butter Pickle—another combination of foods nearly everyone loves: peanut butter and pickles, deep fried.
- Sriracha Corn Dog— In Southern California, Sriracha is popular. Like, really popular. We even have a whole festival devoted to it. It’s no surprise that the California Corn Dog Co. decided to add this spicy sauce to a delicious mix.
- Freshly Fried Chips— Another returning favorite, these chips are cooked to order. They can also be served with a cheesy bacon sauce, parmesan or plain.
The 2015 San Diego County Fair begins at 4pm on June 5, 2015 and ends on July 5, 2015. The fair is closed on Mondays and the first two Tuesdays (June 8, 9, 15, 16, 22 and 29).