Del Mar Beach in San Diego
We see many families coming to stay with us year after year. One of the most common questions we get asked is, “Where is the best beach for families?” We’ve included our top recommendations below.
- Del Mar: Del Mar’s sandy stretches meet with grass for the perfect beach picnic set up. Whether you want to play Frisbee, or relax in the sand, Del Mar is perfect.
- Moonlight Beach: The name traces back to the early 1900s, when residents used to have midnight picnics on this beautiful San Diego beach. While we’re pretty sure you and your kids won’t be hitting the sand at 12 a.m., it is a beautiful beach for afternoon fun in the sun. With lifeguards on duty during designated hours and restroom facilities, you can plan to spend some time at Moonlight Beach. There are also specific spots for surfers and others for non-surfers
- Fletcher Cove: is a lovely little beach park, which includes a basketball court, play gym for the little ones, grassy areas and benches for enjoying a picnic (if you’d rather forego the sand in your turkey sandwich) and restrooms. And of course, the beach, which is smaller than most in the San Diego area, but clean, nicely contained for families with younger kids, yet decent surfing or boogie boarding for bigger kids/adults.
- La Jolla Shores: Similar to Del Mar, this beach has both sand and grass and it is quite large. You’ll see many families gathered with traveling bbqs and large coolers on the grass. There is also a playground.
- Coronado : Beautiful, easy to reach and perfect for kids because of the slow slope into the ocean. It begins on the far end with dog beach and continues for 1.5 miles. In front of the Hotel Del Coronado, the cool rock mound is a great place for tidepooling with the kids. Public restrooms are available and if you’re patronizing any of the businesses at the Hotel Del, you can use their restrooms as well. Speaking of, the Sun Deck at the Hotel Del is a beautiful spot for drinks and a snack.
With so many young families visiting our resort, we’re glad to share our top picks for kid-friendly beaches in San Diego.